Friday, July 8, 2011

roman shades

We have these great little windows about our fireplace in the living room! When we moved in they had these horrible blinds on them (the type you would use for french doors in like the 80's)! Those came down rather quickly, but I never put anything else up. Partly because I didn't know what I wanted and partly because I love the character of the windows and I really didn't want to cover them up!
It wasn't long into this summer that I realized I had to have something on the windows. They are on the side of the house that gets the most sun in the late afternoon and it made it really hot in our apartment. I found a tutorial for making roman shades from mini blinds. It seemed easy enough so I decided to go for it!
I got 2 sets of mini blinds at Big Lots for $3.50 each. My fabric was 2 window panels that I found at Goodwill for $4. I also had to purchase the glue, but had a 50% off coupon on got the glue for $4! Grand Total for 2 shades was $15! Can't beat that! Granted, I haven't embellished them at all yet because I needed to get them up quick! I have some ideas for adding some trim to them eventually!
They were super easy to make (ok, so the first one...not so much, but the second one was a breeze). I could have never purchased a shade for the price I paid to make these! I was very happy with how they turned out, and I've gotten many compliments on them!



And the great thing is, I can pull them up in the mornings to let in the morning light and enjoy the look of the windows (that I adore!). Then close them in the afternoon to keep out the sun! Very functional, cute, and simple...and don't I just love simplicity?!? :)
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...