Friday, June 18, 2010

history in the making




Today marked a great event in the life of this little cucumber plant.

Let me fill you in on a little bit of back ground here. I have always wanted to grow things...well at least for the past few years. However, each time I try to something goes horribly wrong and the plant either dies or never begins to grow in the first place. My desire to grow "something" only increased during our 5 month stay in Uganda. All of the veggies we ate were completely organic and fresh and this motivated me to want to grow things of my own that Mike and I both enjoy eating.

I had basically given up on the hope of growing anything this summer because I assumed it was probably too late to plant by the time we got home at the end of May, but that all changed when my sister and I took a seemingly uneventful trip to our favorite place...Target. They had these little growing kits in their $1 section which spiked my interest, but you see last summer I tried using the same time of kit (I think it was even from Target) and nothing happened...no growth at all. Despite the fact that these kits had never worked for me before and going against my own logic and good judgement I bought not just 1 but 2 of these kits! One was parsley and the other cucumber.

I planted the seeds in their little pots this past Saturday, and carefully labled the pots so I would know what was growing in each one. I watered the little guys and set them carefully on the window in the kitchen where they would get the most sunlight. Within just a few days my little cucumber plant began to grow! I was amazed! You can see by the photo just how fast it is growing! I was very surprised! The parsley, however, turned out to be a dud.

So why was today such a marked day in history? Because my plant has grown big enough to be transplanted into a larger pot...and this (ladies and gentlemen) is a first for me! I went out to my mom's garage and found a nice size pot, put some soil in it, and put my little cucumber plant into its new and improved home! Hopefully it will like this home as much as it did the little yellow pot where it was given life and will continue to grow into some tastely little salad and sandwich toppings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...